Enggi’s Kitchen private hire menu is the one and only: Nasi Tumpeng.
This is the traditional ceremonial food only served on formal events such as birthdays, anniversaries, official launching events, and other events.
Each set of Nasi Tumpeng must contain several elements, which constitute the symbols of all the things that humans possess to present to the God Almighty. The elements are:
- Elements from the soil, which are tubers such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, peanuts and soybeans,
- Elements from the ground, which are vegetables,
- Elements from animals, which are chicken, beef and eggs,
- Elements from the sea, which is seafood like anchovies or shrimp.
The types of side dishes would be different in each area and also have their own meanings. Here are some of them:
- Rice means everything that we eat will become blood and flesh, so we must pick it from the clean source.
- Ayam ingkung or fried rooster cooked with yellow turmeric sauce and thick coconut milk broth, as a symbol to praise God in devout (manekung) and peaceful heart (wening). This could be achieved by controlling one self and be patient. To butcher a rooster also means to avoid bad characters. The chicken must be placed facing the East.
- Fried catfish is chosen because it survives in stagnant water and resides in riverbeds. This is a symbol of steadfastness, perseverance in life and being able to live in the bottom when economic situation gets tough. Nowadays people prefer to replace catfish with milkfish (bandeng) or carp (gurami).
- Salted fishes (anchovies or gereh pethek) live in the sea and are always clustered in big group, symbolize unity and harmony. All the fishes are placed facing to the North, together with beef, shrimps, etc.
- Egg, boiled in brown sauce instead of being fried or made as omelet, served complete with its shell as a meaning that we have to plan our steps (by peeling the shell), to work according to the plan, and to evaluate the result for perfection. This relates to Javanese proverbs, “Tata, Titi, Titis dan Tatas” which means that a good work ethic is the one that is planned, detailed, precise and finished. Egg also represents that God made all humans with the same degree; what differentiates them is their piety and behavior.
- Vegetables, which are usually kale, spinach, beans, sprouts, seasoning sauce artocarpus camansi with grated coconut or ointment. Kale (kangkung) means jinakung or to protect and to achieve. Spinach means serenity. Beans mean to grow. Sprouts symbolize innovative thinking. Brambang (red onion) signifies the importance of weighing all decisions from all aspects. Red chili on top of the tumpeng represents fire (dilah) that enlightens us to be the useful role model for others. Kluwih means linuwih or to have advantages. Urap (vegetable with grated coconut) means urip or life, symbolizing the capacity for feeding family. Vegetables are placed facing South.
- Condiments and other processed complimentary food are placed facing West.
Each Nasi Tumpeng order from Enggi’s Kitchen will consist of the following elements:
- Fish (sea bass or milkfish)
The size of the Nasi tumpeng can served 20 portions. The cost of one Nasi Tumpeng is £170
To have more information on how to order please fill in the form below: